She was driving her husband’s truck with her husband riding shotgun because he was too drunk to drive. She was not impaired by alcohol. She was not under the influence of anything.
She was charged with 40-6-391(a)(4) DUI any combination of alcohol/ drugs/ toxic vapor/ less safe, and Failure to maintain lane. We were able to negotiate a plea in the State Court of Chatham County. Casey plead guilty to Reckless Driving, and the DUI and Failure to maintain lane were dropped.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety Night Hawk wrote in his report that he was parked on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. at Interstate 16. He wrote that he saw a silver Toyota Tundra traveling south on MLK get onto westbound I-16 in the right lane and fail to maintain lane near the 165 mile marker, and then three more times over the right fog line.
He wrote that he tried to stop the vehicle at the 165 mile marker but the vehicle did not stop. The driver continued down I-16 and got off onto westbound 516 before stopping on the ramp. Then he made his approach to the vehicle and told the driver to step out with her license and back to the rear of the vehicle. He heard her husband, the male passenger in the Tundra tell Casey, “don’t do anything for the fucking cop.”
- The officer smelled an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from her person.
- Her eyes were watery and bloodshot.
- Her speech was slow and slurred.
- She admitted to drinking one shot of Grey Goose vodka not long before the stop.
- The cop wrote that he medically qualified Casey before doing the field sobriety tests.
- She said she took Xanax and Celexa for depression.
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test: The officer saw 6 of 6 clues. He said Casey laughed the entire test.
- For the walk and turn test, the Officer had her stand in the grass on the side of the road where it was level.
- Casey said that her feet hurt, and she could not do the test. She laughed the entire time. She said it was ridiculous that I thought she may be drunk.